Saturday, January 31, 2009

dude, where are you going?

it's been a long time since i had time to blog. Well, being in production already limits my access time to the internet. Plus, trying to stay unconspicuous is really hard when your bosses are roaming constantly. a new year has entered and the first month just quickly passed by. I can't believe i didn't manage to squeeze in even one blog entry for january. So let this be my salutations for the year 2009.

i planned to stay up last new year's eve and write down my faith goals for the year. I had a lot of them already in my head but i wanted to use that time to write them down on paper - make them more concrete. but it was only after the first week of january was i able to write them down. and i asked also my disciples to do the same. here a re some samples from what i wrote.

  • To complete my G12 by the end of the year
  • To win one soul every month for this year
  • To mentor 10 singers to be worship leaders
  • To start my own business
  • To save Php50,000 in the bank and pay for our house
  • To become a registered midwife
  • To commit consistently with my walk with GOD

I forgot the others. yet as the end of january came and went, my #2 goal was, let's just say, temporarily forgotten. Hanna, one of my disciples, asked me why i'm asking for their goals for this year. I answered so i might know how to lead you. Knowing where you want to go would help a lot. Lifting them up to GOD would bless your year. That simple statement brought about ideas afterwards.

Why should you bother knowing your destination? Isn't it more fun to just enjoy the journey and be surprised by how it goes and where it leads you? Maybe. But i think getting into something without the slightest hint of where you want to go is a waste of time and effort. I mean, you don't actually get to your destination just by looking down on your own two feet. You got to know where you're heading and setting out goals is the way to do that. Otherwise, it's not a journey you're taking-that's just wandering.

I've know a lot of people who get into sticky situations and find themselves just making excuses that they're just enjoying the ride rather than getting real and finding the purpose for what they want to accomplish in this life. Most are really hard headed in saying that they make their own decisions and no one is the boss of them. Full of pride they stick with their choices even if takes them down hill. I can hear sinatra sing "i did it my way..."

I shake my head just thinking about the heartache and sorrow they can be saving themselves from if they just learn to submit their lives to the orchestrator of life. The wisest king who ever lived once said: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6).

reflect and ask yourself "dude, where are you going?"

No comments: